There are currently no public events scheduled for this topic.
Gain a new perspective on your HR challenges and new tools for meeting them confidently and legally.
Class Action lawsuits … hints of sexual harassment … regulations for interviewing and hiring. There's no end to the legal pitfalls you face every day on the job, and as a human resources professional, you're expected to stay on top of it all.
Meeting that challenge requires continuing education that keeps you abreast of the latest legal changes along with the best employment practices. That is why this seminar is so important.
In one information-packed seminar, you'll learn what you need to know to handle the legal issues and gray areas you face every day. You'll also learn how to think like a lawyer, so you can anticipate and sidestep problems before they arise. This alone is well worth the price of the seminar. If you deal with the legal issues surrounding human resources as an HR professional — or even as a manager or supervisor — you need to enroll today!
Legislation, Case Laws, Trends and Hot Issues
- The most important employment legislation and how it affects your workplace and job
- What you must do as soon as an employee files a charge of workplace harassment
- How to calculate overtime under the Employment Standards Act (ESA)
- Drug testing — can you make it a requirement? When and how to do it to avoid pitfalls
- What you need to know about Maternity and Parental Leave
- Other protected leave laws that apply to your company and how to administer them correctly
- Discover which laws apply to your company. Are you federally, provincially or territorially regulated?
A Fresh Look at Essential Employment Practices
- Why how and where you recruit can inadvertently constitute discrimination
- Résumé red flags that signal an applicant may be setting you up for a discrimination charge
- Hiring practices that stand up under the Canadian Human Rights Act
- Consistent and fair progressive discipline practices that discourage "unlawful discharge" lawsuits
- Documentation you must have if you're called to court
- Legalities and liabilities that arise when you outsource key organization functions
- When personality and aptitude tests are legal in hiring
- Words you must never use in describing classes of employees
- The latest insights into performance evaluations: how often to schedule them and how to construct them
Practical Insights into HR Administration and Benefits
- Up-to-date regulations that affect the way you administer benefits
- A sanity-saving procedure for dealing with legal record-keeping and retention requirements
- Legal pitfalls of downsizing and organizational layoffs
- Understand termination statutes requirements and electronic filing of ROE
- Updates on newest Provincial laws, work safety policies, benefits and other perks
- How to successfully evaluate, discipline and correct performance problems among managers
The Legalities of Policies, Procedures and Employment Handbooks
- The first line of defense against employment practice missteps you must not ignore
- How to communicate policies and procedures so they will be easy to understand — and hold up in court
- The truth about the acceptability of using email to communicate policy changes
- What you must do to ensure that employment policies and procedures comply with the law
- How to recognize legally weak language, unclear definitions and vague employee rules
*Price may vary by location and date.