Diversity, equity and inclusion have taken on an increased importance in the workplace regardless of the size of an organization. Diversity in management has been shown to increase organization revenue by 19%, while diverse companies enjoy 2.3 times higher cash flow per employee. To this end, it’s no surprise that when DEI initiatives are embraced, they often play into the growth and long-term success of a business. Eliminating bias and discrimination in the workplace creates a culture within an organization that supports collaboration, inclusivity and the support of fellow colleagues. However, for many organizations, building cultural and business practices that embrace workplace diversity can still feel elusive. Leaders and employees alike must understand and be able to use strategies for removing barriers and stereotypes to encourage fair and equitable practices in the workplace.
This half-day seminar will help participants understand what DEI means and how each individual can help create a more diverse world at work and in our home communities. Learn to use skills such as active listening, receiver messages, effective questioning techniques: and more to communicate with a more informed and aware level of understanding to encourage and sustain a healthy DEI workplace culture.
What You'll Learn
- Define diversity, equity and Inclusion.
- Understand what unconscious biases are.
- Learn methods to create a DEI culture.
- Identify ways to encourage DEI and discourage discrimination.
- Gain understanding to the benefits of DEI in business.
- Learn strategies to develop, evaluate and maintain an effective DEI program.
- Know how to effectively create and support a workplace of allies that foster belonging.
- Learn how to identify microaggressions and keep them out of the workplace.
- Understand proper way to respond to complaints and how to reach resolution.
The Importance of DEI Conversation
- Define the core terminology of DEI.
- Review the history of DEI and the impact on the workplace.
- Understand how DEI influences employment law and what you must know to keep your organization legally compliant.
Understand Stereotypes and Biases
- Describe the meaning of stereotypes and biases, how they develop and the reasons for your own perspectives.
- Understand what Unconscious Biases are and how they influence perceptions and actions.
Break Down the Barriers
- List strategies for removing barriers to encouraging DEI in the workplace.
- Use active listening skills to receive messages in a diverse population, employ effective questioning techniques and communicate with understanding.
Encourage DEI in the Workplace
- Create a DEI culture that fosters workplace belonging and prevents exclusion.
- Identify ways to encourage diversity, equity, and inclusion in the workplace and discourage discrimination.
Develop, Evaluate and Maintain Your DEI Program
- Develop a successful DE&I Program that makes the most of the organization’s diversity and creates a more competitive, inclusive and sustainable workplace.
- Understand and respond to complaints and develop a support system to manage the resolution process.
- List the steps a manager should take to record a complaint, analyze the situation and take appropriate resolution action.