The Essentials of HR Law
Ensure every step you take is legally sound and compliant with this HR law training course.
Class Action lawsuits … hints of sexual harassment … regulations for interviewing and hiring. There's no end to the legal pitfalls you face every day and as an HR professional, you're expected to stay on top of it all. Meeting these challenges requires continuing education that keeps you abreast of the latest legal changes along with the best employment practices.
This HR seminar will cover some of the most confusing human resources situations and help you deal with them within the confines of the law. You'll learn to cut your organization's liability risk, create a framework for every manager to follow and sidestep the legal hotspots that can trip up many HR professionals.
Our HR training program will show you how to:
- Reduce your organization's risk of being held liable in employee management situations
- Navigate the complexities of employment law and the court's interpretation of it
- Avoid danger zones that can trip up even the most seasoned HR professional
- Develop a consistent approach for every manager to use in handling employee issues
- Meet the demands of changing legislation and varying interpretations of laws such as:
- Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA)
- Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA)
- Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act (COBRA)
- Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA)
- Create a workplace environment that treats employees both fairly and legally
- Implement new employment management techniques that boost productivity
- Eliminate all forms of harassment and discrimination to create a safe work environment for all
- And much more!
In one information-packed HR training workshop, you'll learn how to handle the legal issues and gray areas you face every day.
In this course, you'll also learn to anticipate and sidestep problems before they arise. If you deal with the legal issues surrounding human resources as an HR professional — or even as a manager or supervisor — you need to enroll today!
What our Customers are Saying...
Section I — Legislation, Case Law, Trends and Hot Issues
- The most important employment legislation and how it affects your workplace and job
- What you must know about the Americans with Disabilities Act as it relates to interviewing and hiring
- COBRA requirements — an update on the latest changes
- What you must do as soon as an employee files a charge of sexual harassment
- How to calculate overtime under new FLSA requirements
- Drug testing — can you make it a requirement? When and how to do it to avoid pitfalls
- What you need to know about the Pregnancy Discrimination Act now that FMLA is in effect
- Tips for handling employees who are called up for extended military service
- How to legally manage the latest benefits administration issue: Are domestic partners eligible for benefits?
Section II — A Fresh Look at Essential Employment Practices
- Why how and where you recruit can inadvertently constitute discrimination
- Résumé red flags that signal an applicant may be setting you up for a discrimination charge
- Hiring practices that will stand up under an EEOC undercover audit
- Consistent and fair progressive discipline practices that discourage "unlawful discharge" lawsuits
- Documentation you must have if you're called to court
- Legalities and liabilities that arise when you outsource key organization functions
- When personality and aptitude tests are legal in hiring
- Words you must never use in describing classes of employees
- The latest insights into performance evaluations: how often to schedule them and how to construct them
Section III — Practical Insights Into HR Administration and Benefits
- Tips to help you avoid common mistakes in meeting the requirements of FMLA
- Up-to-date COBRA federal regulations that affect the way you administer benefits
- A sanity-saving procedure for dealing with legal recordkeeping and retention requirements
- Legal pitfalls of downsizing and organizational layoffs
- How to navigate the tricky legal ins and outs of unemployment hearings and benefits
- The secret to skating through a Department of Labor or EEOC investigation
- New legalities in reporting incentive pay, benefits and other perks
- How to successfully evaluate, discipline and correct performance problems among managers
Section IV — The Legalities of Policies, Procedures and Employment Handbooks
- The first line of defense against employment practice missteps you must not ignore
- How to communicate policies and procedures so they will be easy to understand — and hold up in court
- The truth about the acceptability of using email to communicate policy changes
- What you must do to ensure that employment policies and procedures comply with the law
- How to recognize legally weak language, unclear definitions and vague employee rules
- What absolutely must be achieved during employee orientation for legal reasons
Looking for more? Check out all of our HR training solutions!
1-Day Seminar - US $249.00
Groups of 3 or more: $229.00
Washington, DC - November 7th
Dover, DE - February 3rd
Annapolis, MD - November 6th
Annapolis, MD - April 2nd
Frederick, MD - November 4th
Jessup, MD - April 1st
Salisbury, MD - February 2nd
Towson, MD - November 5th
Allentown, PA - February 5th
Harrisburg, PA - February 24th
Johnstown, PA - April 13th
King Of Prussia, PA - February 23rd
Reading, PA - February 25th
State College, PA - April 30th
York, PA - February 4th
Fairfax, VA - March 31st
Fredericksburg, VA - April 8th
Fredericksburg, VA - November 3rd
Richmond, VA - March 30th
Winchester, VA - April 9th
Bring this training to your location
Have a group of 15 or more? Try Private Team Training! Bring this topic — or any of our 200+ topics — to your location with customized On-Site Training.
Request a personalized quote today!
Continuing Education Certificates
You can obtain a certificate documenting your professional credits by visiting our certificate page.
Certificates will be available 10 days after your event has ended. You can find more information on credits, including a complete list of eligible courses here.