Communication between managers and employees is essential to the success of every organization, every team and every individual. When communication breakdowns occur, employee satisfaction decreases, productivity declines and team morale drops. To prevent this, managers and supervisors need to be prepared to deliver accurate and effective feedback to employees at all times; performance reviews are a critical part of this effort.
For most organizations, performance reviews occur annually. These once-a-year meetings are often dreaded by the manager or supervisor giving the review, as well as by the employee receiving the feedback. Yet, because of the critical nature of this annual meeting, it is important to both parties that the review is accurate, effective and geared to produce positive results.
So just what is it about performance reviews that makes them so loathed?
Performance reviews require managers and supervisors to set aside time in their busy schedules to try to objectively evaluate the performance of their employees over the previous year. For many of us, it's difficult to remember what we were working on last week, let alone what has occurred over the past 12 months. Although a performance review takes place only once annually, managers and supervisors can help alleviate the pressure and dread by using effective evaluation tools throughout the year.
What You'll Learn
- Methods for keeping track of both individual and team performance throughout the year
- Effective ways to communicate about positive performance areas as well as those that need improvement
- Options for offering praise, recognition and feedback to clearly communicate your expectations to any employee
- Ideas for encouraging future positive performance
- How to deal with coworkers who become emotional during reviews
- Strategies that encourage employee response and self-reflection to keep the lines of communication open
- Techniques for discussing compensation and other money matters with discretion
- Quick dos and don'ts to help ensure reviews are effective and painless
Who Will Benefit
Managers and supervisors, team leaders, HR managers and anyone else who wants to conduct performance evaluations that get results without the hassle.