Taking on a managerial role is no easy task. Not only are you responsible for keeping your projects on time and yourself motivated, but you must see to it that your department works well with others, your team is on target and on task, and your employees remain upbeat and focused. You must learn when and how to lead, delegate, motivate and communicate. Are you confident that you have the skills necessary to succeed as a new manager?
You did a great job in your previous position, and you've earned your supervisory role. However, the skills that made you a great employee will not necessarily make you a great manager. You are now held accountable not only for your work, but for the work of your team. You must control costs, maintain a positive and productive team environment and ensure upper management is satisfied. Clearly, you have your work cut out for you.
What You'll Learn
- The importance of recognizing how to manage tasks while leading people
- Why understanding your boss's communication style is as important as understanding your own
- The four quadrants of effectiveness and how they can help you organize your day
- Techniques for assessing your employees, including their strengths and weaknesses, behavioral styles and likes and dislikes
- The four stages of team development and how you can adapt your leadership style to each
- How to recognize opportunities to communicate effectively — and listen effectively
- Ways to eliminate barriers that stand in your way of managing more productively
- Tips for dealing with the elephant in the room — even if that elephant is you
- Solutions for increasing motivators and decreasing demotivators in order to expand your team's skills effectively
- The value of personal development and the dangers of inadequate stress management
Who Will Benefit
Managers and supervisors who have recently been promoted, those taking on new responsibilities, those with little or no formal training — even seasoned professionals needing a refresher — will benefit from the ideas, techniques and tools offered in this powerful program.