Choose an Event
Ashburn, VA 20149Change Location
Bring this training to your location.
Have a group of 25 or more people?
Try private, onsite team training.
Bring this topic, or any of our 200+ topics,
to your location with customized training.
100% Satisfaction Guaranteed.
Already attended this seminar?
"I have been a member of Fred Pryor for almost three years now and I have yet to attend a class that didn't have valuable information that would benefit my company and/or our employees."”
— Teri M.
"Excellent!! As always, Fred Pryor's courses are easy to follow, very informative and presented in a format that keeps your attention!!"”
— Cynthia S.
"I enjoy all of the seminars that I attend through the Fred Pryor Training Rewards program. They are very informative and the instructors are very knowledgeable and helpful."”
— Tasha M.
"Excellent info for all levels of users. There are always things to add to your "bag of tricks"."”
— Wendy S.
"Wow! I have taken many wonderful courses through Fred Pryor; this one takes the cake!!"”
— Dana N.
"Top notch! Thank you Fred Pryor, this is the best investment my boss could have made."”
— Lewis C.
"I received a lot of great information in this training. Several co-workers went with me which was a great help for me to start implementing some of the changes we need to do at the office. It was very eye opening for them to realize the things that we need to do at the office. It was very eye opening for them to realize the things that need to get to me. It was like Fred Pryor and the trainer had my back!"”
— Tasha C.
In one intensive day of training, we'll cover today's most challenging payroll management issues including:
- The latest regulation changes that impact how you determine which positions are "overtime eligible"
- What the DOL expects when determining if a worker is an employee or an independent contractor
- The red flags auditors, inspectors and investigators look for in your payroll procedures
- How to prepare to answer the "Top 3 Questions" asked during an audit or investigation
- Finding and documenting "Reasonable Basis" in your payroll-related policies and procedures
- Who the Fair Labor Standards Act defines as an "employer" and why
- Your state law says one thing and the federal government says another — now what?
- Ways to secure your internal processes against the most common misinterpretations of Wage and Hour laws
- And much more!
Payroll Management: Beginning With the End in Mind
- Why payroll administration is not just about the numbers
- The high cost of improperly classifying employees
- The QETP (Questionable Employee Tax Practices)
- The top three questions auditors and investigators will ask – and why
- Establishing good faith efforts that reduce penalties and fines
- Five vital internal audits that are not about the math
- What to do if you get an FLSA complaint
Making Sense of the FLSA Overtime Exemptions
- Exempt vs non-exempt employees – What’s the difference?
- Three tests to help determine overtime exemptions – salary, highly compensated and standard duties
- Types of exemptions: Executive, Professional, Administrative, Outside Sales and Computer Professionals
- Understanding the overtime-exempt payment and docking rules
Worker Classification: Employee or Independent Contractor - How to Decide?
- Creating a worker classification process
- W-9 Compliance
- What is back-up withholding and when should you use it?
- 1099-MISC Hot Tips
- Auditing your W-4 process
- E-verify and New-Hire Reporting
- Your payroll department and the I-9
Payroll and the Non-exempt Employee
- Paid and unpaid leave policies that payroll must understand
- Recognizing compensable time
- Rounding and adjusting the timeclock: The Rule of De Minimis Time
- Overtime requirements and options employers should consider
- Spotting and correcting wage and hour violations
- Gone to the Guard for the week — what to do when military pay and your payroll overlap
- Tips and uniform allowances — what's considered income, what's not?
- What you're required to pay when an employee is dismissed
Special Payroll Considerations and Hot Tips for Maintaining Compliance
- How to determine the order of multiple garnishments for an employee
- When and how to tax fringe benefits
- The legal ramifications of paycheck advances
- Compensation and fair market value — what the law says you must do
- Gifts that must be reported to the IRS
- Withholding and reporting rules for cash fringe benefits vs. non-cash fringe benefits
- Cell phone supplements – taxable or not?
*Price may vary by location and date.