Choose an Event
Dulles, VA 20149
We’re sorry, there are no events scheduled for this area. Please change your location to see seminars.
Choose a New Location
Bring this training to your location.
Have a group of 25 or more people?
Try private, onsite team training.
Bring this topic, or any of our 200+ topics,
to your location with customized training.
100% Satisfaction Guaranteed.
Already attended this seminar?
"I have been a member of Fred Pryor for almost three years now and I have yet to attend a class that didn't have valuable information that would benefit my company and/or our employees."”
— Teri M.
"Excellent!! As always, Fred Pryor's courses are easy to follow, very informative and presented in a format that keeps your attention!!"”
— Cynthia S.
"I enjoy all of the seminars that I attend through the Fred Pryor Training Rewards program. They are very informative and the instructors are very knowledgeable and helpful."”
— Tasha M.
"Excellent info for all levels of users. There are always things to add to your "bag of tricks"."”
— Wendy S.
"Wow! I have taken many wonderful courses through Fred Pryor; this one takes the cake!!"”
— Dana N.
"Top notch! Thank you Fred Pryor, this is the best investment my boss could have made."”
— Lewis C.
"I received a lot of great information in this training. Several co-workers went with me which was a great help for me to start implementing some of the changes we need to do at the office. It was very eye opening for them to realize the things that we need to do at the office. It was very eye opening for them to realize the things that need to get to me. It was like Fred Pryor and the trainer had my back!"”
— Tasha C.
As a payroll professional, you can’t afford to make mistakes.
Are you fully versed in the rules, record-keeping policies, withholding regulations and labour standards affecting payroll processing? Are you up-to-date on the government’s latest changes, amendments and requirements? Even seasoned payroll pros may find themselves needing a refresher and if you are just getting started in the field, navigating the finer points of payroll law can easily become an exercise in frustration.
Attend this information-packed seminar and gain a thorough understanding of Canadian Payroll Law, including employment and labour standards that affect payroll processing, withholdings, garnishments and deductions, the role of Federal and Provincial government regulations, special concerns involving the U.S. and much more.
Canadian Payroll Basics — what every payroll processor needs to know to get started
This section introduces you to the fundamentals of Canadian Payroll procedures and includes everything you need to know to comply with government regulations regarding payroll.
- Employee/employer relationships
- The roles and responsibilities of the payroll department
- Employee or self-employed? Understand how to define your workers
- Why it is so important to determine worker definitions
- The penalties, fines and interest for non-compliance
- Record-keeping requirements for setting up a new employee, taxation requirements of CRA and pay records
- Contract of service vs. contract for service
- Minimum wage rules you must be aware of
- How age factors are considered in EI and CPP taxation
- An overview and review of the various forms and guides required by CRA
- Filing procedures and deadlines for taxation
- How to avoid the PIER Report
- When and how to remit taxes
- Remittances to CRA and Revenue Quebec
- Filing forms TD1 and Quebec TP1015.3-V — who should file
- Review of forms T4, T4A and RL-1
- A handy checklist to follow for year-end preparation
Employment and Labour Standards That Affect Payroll Processing
There’s a lot of meat to the Fair Labour Standards Act, and regulators are watching closely. It takes careful maneuvering to stay out of legal hot water. The most innocent mistake can result in a substantial fine and with you losing credibility with your company. Be prepared by knowing what’s expected, what’s changed and where there are loopholes.
- The must-do’s of FLSA record-keeping
- Exempt vs. nonexempt employees — are you applying the FLSA properly to each?
- What are your company’s responsibilities for travel time, on-call time and time employees spend waiting on behalf of your company?
- Are all meetings and training deductible — even those that are primarily vacations?
- When are exempt employees eligible for overtime?
- Understanding overlapping federal and provincial wage and hour laws
- Comp time — the common illegal practice many companies unknowingly use
- Most recent updates to Provincial-specific Employment Standards and Labour laws and how they affect payroll processing (e.g. new protected leave laws, Alberta Bill 17, etc).
Withholdings: Taxable vs. Nontaxable, Garnishments — Federal and Provincial Regulations
Don’t let withholding issues trip you up. Learn exactly what your responsibilities are when it comes to withholding tax, discover situations where withholding tax is not required and learn the distinctions between Federal and Provincial Regulations.
- Employment insurance premiums
- Federal and provincial income tax regulations
- Employer share of statutory deductions
- Special payments: bonuses, retroactive pay, vacation pay, tips, etc.
- Garnishment basics
- Taxable vs. Nontaxable
- Withholding requirements
- Taxable benefits and allowances
- Income tax sources and rules
- Mandatory, statutory and voluntary deductions
Special Circumstances and Unique Concerns
These situations don’t come up every day … but when they do, payroll professionals must know how to properly handle them.
- How to handle final pay
- Severance and terminations, and processing ROE
- Should vacation pay be included in final wage payments?
- Death of employee
- Resident vs. nonresident rules — United States
- A definition of “U.S. Source” income vs. “Canada Source” income
- How the Canadian tax treaty benefit affects taxation rules
- The impact of United States FLSA on Canadian Labour Laws
*Price may vary by location and date.