Choose an Event
Dulles, VA 20149
We’re sorry, there are no events scheduled for this area. Please change your location to see seminars.
Choose a New Location
Bring this training to your location.
Have a group of 25 or more people?
Try private, onsite team training.
Bring this topic, or any of our 200+ topics,
to your location with customized training.
100% Satisfaction Guaranteed.
Already attended this seminar?
"I have been a member of Fred Pryor for almost three years now and I have yet to attend a class that didn't have valuable information that would benefit my company and/or our employees."”
— Teri M.
"Excellent!! As always, Fred Pryor's courses are easy to follow, very informative and presented in a format that keeps your attention!!"”
— Cynthia S.
"I enjoy all of the seminars that I attend through the Fred Pryor Training Rewards program. They are very informative and the instructors are very knowledgeable and helpful."”
— Tasha M.
"Excellent info for all levels of users. There are always things to add to your "bag of tricks"."”
— Wendy S.
"Wow! I have taken many wonderful courses through Fred Pryor; this one takes the cake!!"”
— Dana N.
"Top notch! Thank you Fred Pryor, this is the best investment my boss could have made."”
— Lewis C.
"I received a lot of great information in this training. Several co-workers went with me which was a great help for me to start implementing some of the changes we need to do at the office. It was very eye opening for them to realize the things that we need to do at the office. It was very eye opening for them to realize the things that need to get to me. It was like Fred Pryor and the trainer had my back!"”
— Tasha C.
Discover the basics with essential HR training!
When it comes to Human Resources, you've got to know your stuff. Your organization and its employees are depending on you to provide accurate information, advice and answers on everything from government regulatory issues and benefits administration to the finer points of the employee handbook. You've also got to be current on all the latest HR legal issues, be available as a knowledgeable resource for employees, be able to mediate internal conflicts and disputes and be prepared to hire and fire personnel as necessary.
This information-packed seminar was designed to deliver the most information in the least amount of time. From legislation affecting discrimination and medical leave to the best practices in benefits, record keeping, hiring, and firing, this course is a comprehensive primer on all the issues you'll face as you tackle your new HR responsibilities.
In just one day with our HR training experts, you'll cover:
- Whether you fall under federal or provincial jurisdiction regarding employment and labour law
- How to screen a large applicant pool quickly and efficiently
- Benefits basics including reasonable notice, sexual harassment, discrimination and more
- Record Keeping Fundamentals — ten principles for collecting, keeping and destroying personal employee information
- Three things you must be able to legally prove regarding your employment policies
- What you can and cannot ask during an interview
- And much more!
This program is remarkably comprehensive, packed with essential information you'll need to step into your new position with confidence. You will learn how to ensure that your company is safe and secure for employees … discover how to stay in compliance with legislative decisions handed down by the government … and find out how to protect your organization and employees from lawsuits and legal action.ation in the least amount of time. From legislation affecting discrimination and medical leave to the best practices in benefits, record keeping, hiring, and firing, this course is a comprehensive primer on all the issues you'll face as you tackle your new HR responsibilities.
- Identify the role of an HR manager or staff — and ensure you have a handle on their key responsibilities
- Implement legally safe recruiting and onboarding procedures
- Become familiar with the protected classes of individuals under federal and provincial labour laws
- Engage in basic employee coaching, counseling and discipline techniques
Essentials of HR Responsibilities
- Understand the role of company policies and how they align with the legislation of your organization's jurisdiction
- Identify basic labour laws
- Streamline how you revise, develop and implement policies
- Communicate and administer important employee information systematically — and ensure you're doing it legally
- Keep management and employees on the same page
- Recruit and onboard new hires with quick and thorough proven strategies
- Advise managers and supervisors regarding politics and procedures
An Overview of Labour and Employment Laws
- Uncover the foundation of HR Law — where Canadian regulations are derived from and the implied common law obligations
- Understand the splits in federal and provincial jurisdiction, and ensure you know where your organization falls
- Recognize the significance of "reasonable notice" under Canadian employment law
- Review legislation prohibiting employment discrimination — including race, national origin, color, religion, sex and age
- Delve into the Bona Fide Occupational Requirements (BFOR), which allows employers certain discriminations
- Learn about other outlying discrimination issues, such as drug addiction, criminal record, height and weight requirements, drivers' licenses and nepotism
Human Rights Discrimination and Harassment
- Differentiate between discrimination and harassment
- Understand the burden of proof — and know what your organization should be prepared to present
- Define sexual harassment and determine its different elements
Fundamentals of Recruiting and Interviewing
- Know what to include, emphasize and leave out of job advertisements
- Receive a valuable tool for screening prospective employees — it will save you time and potential frustration in the long run
- Ensure you're covering all job description responsibilities during an interview
- Utilize helpful behaviour-based interviewing techniques, and weed out the bad apples early on
The Nature of the Employment Relationship
- Decode the contractual nature of the employee-employer relationship
- Know your rights when you hire independent contractors, such as the employer's power of selection and the right to suspend or dismiss
- Discover the relationships of dependent contractors, which are considered intermediate relationships
Discipline and Discharge
- Use progressive discipline techniques to reduce recurring issues with difficult employees
- Recognize the signs for when you can terminate with cause
- Identify when you can terminate without cause, and determine the factors involved for providing reasonable notice
Employment Standards Issues
- Become familiar with the differences between exempt and non-exempt employees — who qualifies as what
- Discover guidelines for employees' hours of work
- Minimize the confusion when it comes to employee wages
- Utilize a valuable employment records retention chart
- Ensure you're complying with current legislation when it comes to vacation time and holiday pay
- Know what jurisdiction your organization falls under concerning leaves of absence — including pregnancy and family medical leave
*Price may vary by location and date.