Choose an Event
We’re sorry, there are no events scheduled for this area. Please change your location to see seminars.
Choose a New Location
Bring this training to your location.
Have a group of 25 or more people?
Try private, onsite team training.
Bring this topic, or any of our 200+ topics,
to your location with customized training.
100% Satisfaction Guaranteed.
Between the style extremes of passive and aggressive is an effective, winning management approach — the assertive style
Assertive doesn't mean overbearing, pushy or autocratic; it's a balanced approach that assures you'll handle people, get things done and communicate — all in the same level-headed, confident manner.
This exciting seminar will give you the skills that guarantee you'll leap the hurdles you face every day, earn more respect from co-workers and bosses, and feel better about your role as a manager and leader. You'll feel more prepared to "go to bat" for your employees, yourself, your managers, your organization … and project an assertive, straightforward style, consistently, every time!
Passive, Aggressive or Assertive? Understanding the winning management balance.
- The difference between passive, assertive, and aggressive management — and how to define a management style that avoids the extremes
- Nine common passive traits — and whether any of these traits interfere with your effectiveness
- The basic motivations of "bully" managers — and why an aggressive approach is disastrous
- 10 typical reasons why new managers fail — and tactics to avoid making the same mistakes
- 10 attitudes common to winning managers and assertive positives you can build on for future success
- Five simple questions that determine whether you have natural assertive tendencies
Your Attitude Inventory: Taking Stock of the Beliefs That Drive Your Behavior
- The four basic tenets of assertive behavior — and how they can guide you through every situation and challenge
- 10 down-to-earth ways to increase your self-respect and esteem
- Your 10 basic rights, and what you should — and shouldn't — expect from yourself and others
- How you can benefit from self-declaration — and get more control over your job, your career, and your life
- The five areas you must take responsibility for when developing a more assertive style
- 10 common irrational beliefs that lead to nonassertive behavior
Communication Essentials:Exchanging Information the Assertive Way
- The seven main components of effective, assertive communication, and ways to adapt them to your day-to-day activities
- How to express your opinions and thoughts in a direct way — without attacking or alienating others
- Sound steps to more productive two-way communication that allows you to compromise and achieve more win-win outcomes
- How to influence others through emotional appeals that are sincere and genuine, never "sappy" or weak
- Why "you's" must become "I's" when you confront someone
- It's not what you say, it's how you say it — how to avoid inadvertently sending the wrong message
- A clever approach that delivers a firm message by asking questions
The Assertive Supervisor: Dealing with Employees Firmly, Fairly and Confidently
- The secret to refusing a request without feeling guilty: four questions to ask yourself before turning someone down
- How to spell out and enforce limits for employees to solve common problems such as absenteeism, tardiness, and missed deadlines
- 10 solid principles for setting rules and policies that employees understand and respect
- How giving employees constructive feedback instead of constructive criticism prevents defensiveness and finds solutions to the problems at hand
- Nine surefire steps to help you discuss — and solve — recurring problems with employees
- Why assigning tasks to employees the right way ensures work gets done correctly and on time
- Five solid guidelines for giving recognition and praise so that you feel good, and your employees feel great!
The Total Communicator: Using an Innovative Range of Communication Tools
- Negative words that can put a bad spin on communication with coworkers
- Three ways to alter your voice to communicate more clearly, assertively, and meaningfully
- Unintentional messages you may be sending through body language and facial expressions
- Six specific ways to become a better listener and open new lines of communication
- How to hear and interpret the total message — not just words, but subtle changes in tone, inflection, and body language
- The critical mechanics of feedback: how to give and receive better follow-up communication
Day-to-Day Dilemmas: Handling and Solving Common Management Problems
- A simple three-part communication model that guarantees you'll stand up to pressure with cool-headed confidence
- Six ways to hold your ground in the face of hostility or aggression
- Eight specific guidelines for saying "no" effectively and handling even touchy situations without creating hard feelings or resentment
- How to tell whether you're being fairly or unfairly criticized
- A proven approach that helps you receive criticism in a positive way — without getting angry or feeling guilty
- Six no-nonsense actions you can take when someone finds fault with your performance
- A 12-part formula that helps you deal with everyday conflict
- How to manage disagreement and conflict with people in power — your bosses, customers, or top managers
- Tips for accepting compliments with grace and confidence, and receiving praise without seeming boastful or immodest
*Price may vary by location and date.