Choose an Event
Dulles, VA 20149
We’re sorry, there are no events scheduled for this area. Please change your location to see seminars.
Choose a New Location
Bring this training to your location.
Have a group of 25 or more people?
Try private, onsite team training.
Bring this topic, or any of our 200+ topics,
to your location with customized training.
100% Satisfaction Guaranteed.
Already attended this seminar?
"I have been a member of Fred Pryor for almost three years now and I have yet to attend a class that didn't have valuable information that would benefit my company and/or our employees."”
— Teri M.
"Excellent!! As always, Fred Pryor's courses are easy to follow, very informative and presented in a format that keeps your attention!!"”
— Cynthia S.
"I enjoy all of the seminars that I attend through the Fred Pryor Training Rewards program. They are very informative and the instructors are very knowledgeable and helpful."”
— Tasha M.
"Excellent info for all levels of users. There are always things to add to your "bag of tricks"."”
— Wendy S.
"Wow! I have taken many wonderful courses through Fred Pryor; this one takes the cake!!"”
— Dana N.
"Top notch! Thank you Fred Pryor, this is the best investment my boss could have made."”
— Lewis C.
"I received a lot of great information in this training. Several co-workers went with me which was a great help for me to start implementing some of the changes we need to do at the office. It was very eye opening for them to realize the things that we need to do at the office. It was very eye opening for them to realize the things that need to get to me. It was like Fred Pryor and the trainer had my back!"”
— Tasha C.
Good design doesn't just happen... you need graphic design training seminars!
It takes special skills to assemble the headlines, text and graphics of a printed page so they catch a reader's eye and elicit the response you want.
Once you learn these basic design skills, you can apply them any time you need to communicate ideas on paper swiftly, clearly and effectively. This program helps "desktop publishers" of every level understand and practice the fundamentals of effective graphic design.
Know Your Reader
- How the human eye travels over a printed page — where you should position your most important and least important points
- "Do I read or do I toss?" What goes through your reader's mind in those first few seconds and how to influence the outcome
- The role of "image" and "mood" in communicating your ideas graphically
Know Your Message
- Ways to graphically spotlight ideas, benefits or product features to make a powerful — and favorable-first impression
- How to prevent "overdesigning"
- What makes a piece look "amateurish", how to spot and fix mistakes that might be creeping into your designs
Know Your Mission
- How to use graphics to get quick action: tips to make readers pull out their checkbooks or reach for their phones
- Long vs. short order forms — when to use a dense "contract" look and when it's better to be light and airy
- How different colors affect readability
- Simple graphic devices that speak louder than words (helpful to know when space is tight)
The Best Use of Art and Captions
- Choosing photos that fit your design
- Silhouetting: how it can add drama and impact to ordinary photos
- Captions can capture attention faster than most anything — tips on using them correctly
- Framing photos: understanding the different effects of borders and backgrounds
Using Heads and Subheads
- What typefaces, sizes and styles are best suited for banner headlines
- Where to put subheads for maximum impact
- All caps? Small caps? Caps and lower case? Some good rules to follow
How to Make Your Type "Talk"
- Basic typographic rules to follow (type size, column widths, spacing, kerning and tracking, etc.)
- Use of drop caps, indents and reverse type
- Some basics on mixing fonts
Putting it All Together
- What balance is, and how to achieve it from page to page, spread to spread
- The role of the grid in planning your layout
- How to use white space as a graphic device
- The most effective use of clip art, tables, charts, graphs and logos, bullets and dingbats
- How to separate elements with borders, rules, screens — without getting that "boxy" look Using sidebars and call-outs to emphasize key points
Who Will Benefit
Is this seminar for you? Yes, if you fit any part of this profile…
- You've been charged with creating newsletters, ads, reports, press releases and the like — but lack formal training.
- Document design has always been a part of your job — but every piece you produce ends up looking the same as the others.
- You want your printed materials to reflect a more upbeat, professional image for your organization.
- Your people look to you for graphic guidance — but you're sometimes as unsure as they are.
- As a desktop publisher, you're good at using your hardware and software — now you only need help with design.
In one fast-paced class, you'll learn to captivate attention and convey any message with speed, impact and clarity. Don't miss this opportunity to take your design skills to the next level — and give all your printed pieces a more polished, professional look.
*Price may vary by location and date.