Choose an Event
Ashburn, VA 20149Change Location
Bring this training to your location.
Have a group of 25 or more people?
Try private, onsite team training.
Bring this topic, or any of our 200+ topics,
to your location with customized training.
100% Satisfaction Guaranteed.
Already attended this seminar?
"I have been a member of Fred Pryor for almost three years now and I have yet to attend a class that didn't have valuable information that would benefit my company and/or our employees."”
— Teri M.
"Excellent!! As always, Fred Pryor's courses are easy to follow, very informative and presented in a format that keeps your attention!!"”
— Cynthia S.
"I enjoy all of the seminars that I attend through the Fred Pryor Training Rewards program. They are very informative and the instructors are very knowledgeable and helpful."”
— Tasha M.
"Excellent info for all levels of users. There are always things to add to your "bag of tricks"."”
— Wendy S.
"Wow! I have taken many wonderful courses through Fred Pryor; this one takes the cake!!"”
— Dana N.
"Top notch! Thank you Fred Pryor, this is the best investment my boss could have made."”
— Lewis C.
"I received a lot of great information in this training. Several co-workers went with me which was a great help for me to start implementing some of the changes we need to do at the office. It was very eye opening for them to realize the things that we need to do at the office. It was very eye opening for them to realize the things that need to get to me. It was like Fred Pryor and the trainer had my back!"”
— Tasha C.
Get a new perspective on your HR challenges and new tools for meeting them confidently and legally.
Ensure every step you take is legally sound and compliant with this HR law training course. Class Action lawsuits … hints of sexual harassment … regulations for interviewing and hiring. There's no end to the legal pitfalls you face every day on the job, and as a human resources professional, you're expected to stay on top of it all.
Meeting that challenge requires continuing education that keeps you abreast of the latest legal changes along with the best employment practices. That is why this seminar is so important.
In one information-packed seminar, you'll learn what you need to know to handle the legal issues and gray areas you face every day. You'll also learn how to think like a lawyer, so you can anticipate and sidestep problems before they arise. This alone is well worth the price of the seminar. If you deal with the legal issues surrounding human resources as an HR professional — or even as a manager or supervisor — you need to enroll today!
Section I — Legislation, Case Laws, Trends and Hot Issues
- The most important employment legislation and how it affects your workplace and job
- What you must know about the Americans with Disabilities Act as it relates to interviewing and hiring
- COBRA requirements — an update on the latest changes
- What you must do as soon as an employee files a charge of sexual harassment
- How to calculate overtime under new FLSA requirements
- Drug testing — can you make it a requirement? When and how to do it to avoid pitfalls
- What you need to know about the Pregnancy Discrimination Act now that FMLA is in effect
- Tips for handling employees who are called up for extended military service
- How to legally manage the latest benefits administration issue: Are domestic partners eligible for benefits?
Section II — A Fresh Look at Essential Employment Practices
- Why how and where you recruit can inadvertently constitute discrimination
- Résumé red flags that signal an applicant may be setting you up for a discrimination charge
- Hiring practices that will stand up under an EEOC undercover audit
- Consistent and fair progressive discipline practices that discourage “unlawful discharge” lawsuits
- Documentation you must have if you’re called to court
- Legalities and liabilities that arise when you outsource key organization functions
- When personality and aptitude tests are legal in hiring
- Words you must never use in describing classes of employees
- The latest insights into performance evaluations: how often to schedule them and how to construct them
Section III — Practical Insights into HR Administration and Benefits
- Tips to help you avoid common mistakes in meeting the requirements of FMLA
- Up-to-date COBRA federal regulations that affect the way you administer benefits
- A sanity-saving procedure for dealing with legal record- keeping and retention requirements
- Legal pitfalls of downsizing and organizational layoffs
- How to navigate the tricky legal ins and outs of unemployment hearings and benefits
- The secret to skating through a Department of Labor or EEOC investigation
- New legalities in reporting incentive pay, benefits and other perks
- How to successfully evaluate, discipline and correct performance problems among managers
Section IV — The Legalities of Policies, Procedures and Employment Handbooks
- The first line of defense against employment practice missteps you must not ignore
- How to communicate policies and procedures so they will be easy to understand — and hold up in court
- The truth about the acceptability of using email to communicate policy changes
- What you must do to ensure employment policies and procedures comply with the law
- How to recognize legally weak language, unclear definitions and vague employee rules
- What absolutely must be achieved during employee orientation for legal reasons
*Price may vary by location and date.