Choose an Event
LIVE ONLINE SEMINARS
|Mar. 29 9am-4pm PDT||
PRIVATE TEAM TRAINING
Bring this topic or 200+ other training opportunities to your location in-person or online.
Already attended this seminar?
View additional Human Resources training
"I have been a member of Fred Pryor for almost three years now and I have yet to attend a class that didn't have valuable information that would benefit my company and/or our employees."”
— Teri M.
"Excellent!! As always, Fred Pryor's courses are easy to follow, very informative and presented in a format that keeps your attention!!"”
— Cynthia S.
"I enjoy all of the seminars that I attend through the Fred Pryor Training Rewards program. They are very informative and the instructors are very knowledgeable and helpful."”
— Tasha M.
"Excellent info for all levels of users. There are always things to add to your "bag of tricks"."”
— Wendy S.
"Wow! I have taken many wonderful courses through Fred Pryor; this one takes the cake!!"”
— Dana N.
"Top notch! Thank you Fred Pryor, this is the best investment my boss could have made."”
— Lewis C.
"I received a lot of great information in this training. Several co-workers went with me which was a great help for me to start implementing some of the changes we need to do at the office. It was very eye opening for them to realize the things that we need to do at the office. It was very eye opening for them to realize the things that need to get to me. It was like Fred Pryor and the trainer had my back!"”
— Tasha C.
The latest and best practical information about workplace laws you must know!
- Confidently apply the latest thinking on the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) and the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
- Avoid the most common and costly Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) breaches — including new federal focal points!
- Learn about the recent changes in Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) wage and hour laws
- Discover new legal thinking on employment-at-will, hiring, disciplining and firing
- Identify hiring do's and don'ts that keep you out of the courtroom
- Stay current on the newest legal hot spots, such as high-tech privacy and records retention
Americans with Disabilities Act & Family and Medical Leave Act
- Laws, recent court decisions, basic requirements and current parameters
- "Reasonable accommodations" and "hardships" as defined and dictated by courts
- The tricky terrain of stress-related and mental disabilities
- Policies that are legal in dealing with an employee who has a "managed" health condition or disease
Essential EEOC Documentation & BFOQ Standards
- How to ensure your Bona Fide Occupational Qualifications (BFOQ) for every job are legally compliant
- Title VII: who's covered, what's covered and the surprising things that aren't
- Recent rulings and where the law's laser-focus is scrutinizing EEOC compliance today
- The #1 thing you can do to ensure your policies and procedures are EEOC compliant
- Must-know tips for dealing with a multi-cultural workforce and language barriers
- Retaliation and whistleblowers — what you can and can't do now
- Essential steps to take when investigating employee allegations
FLSA Wage and Hour Law Compliance
- Case Studies: the surprising recent violations with the Department of Labor
- New changes in wage and hour law to keep you current
- At last — clear-cut guidelines for classifying every employee as exempt or non-exempt
- Tips for avoiding costly mistakes in classifying employees
- The essential step you must take to ensure jobs are classified in a way you can justify
- Legally approved ways to deal with contract workers, telecommuters and home-based workers
- How you must treat "special absences" such as religious holidays
- When you can — and can't — legally dock pay or otherwise penalize employees
Employment-at-Will, Hiring, Disciplining and Firing
- Understanding the Model Employment Termination Act (META)
- What you must know about "at-will" employment to sidestep legal landmines
- The single most important thing you can do to avoid wrongful termination suits
- How handbooks are impacting ability to terminate "at will" in court
- The most common ways employee handbooks expose you to legal risks
- Ways to ensure your employees are up to date on handbook and policy changes
- Essential techniques for following the court-accepted way to document performance and behavior issues
- The art and purpose of writing behavior expectations into job descriptions
- Your rights in dealing with acceptable performers with attitude problems — what you can't do
- Simple steps you can take to make your discipline and termination practices above legal question
- What you must never do when terminating an employee during probation
Updates on Interviewing, Hiring and Records Retention
- A checklist to ensure you interview and hire legally
- Pre-employment and employment records you must keep — and how long to keep them
- What to cover, and also what not to mention, in employment contracts and offer letters
- Legal and illegal pre-employment testing: what you need to know
- The latest on background, credit and reference checks that may surprise you
- Employers' rights with drug testing and substance abuse on the job — legal issues to avoid
Employee Privacy "Hot Spots"
- What organizations can do to protect employee privacy of information
- Employee behaviors that impact their health and company insurance rates — what you can and can't mandate
- Your rights and responsibilities when you know of an employee's medical issue, managed condition, or disease
- Guidelines for managing employee personal and medical information
- Employee rights regarding Internet, e-mail, voicemail and video surveillance
- What you can monitor legally — and what is strictly out of bounds
- Immediate steps to follow if an employee says you've invaded his/her privacy
- How to build technology policies and procedures to use at work and from remote locations
- The legal way to deal with inappropriate Internet communications, including company bashing and employee gossip