Choose an Event
LIVE ONLINE SEMINARS
PRIVATE TEAM TRAINING
Bring this topic or 200+ other training opportunities to your location in-person or online.
Already attended this seminar?
"I have been a member of Fred Pryor for almost three years now and I have yet to attend a class that didn't have valuable information that would benefit my company and/or our employees."”
— Teri M.
"Excellent!! As always, Fred Pryor's courses are easy to follow, very informative and presented in a format that keeps your attention!!"”
— Cynthia S.
"I enjoy all of the seminars that I attend through the Fred Pryor Training Rewards program. They are very informative and the instructors are very knowledgeable and helpful."”
— Tasha M.
"Excellent info for all levels of users. There are always things to add to your "bag of tricks"."”
— Wendy S.
"Wow! I have taken many wonderful courses through Fred Pryor; this one takes the cake!!"”
— Dana N.
"Top notch! Thank you Fred Pryor, this is the best investment my boss could have made."”
— Lewis C.
"I received a lot of great information in this training. Several co-workers went with me which was a great help for me to start implementing some of the changes we need to do at the office. It was very eye opening for them to realize the things that we need to do at the office. It was very eye opening for them to realize the things that need to get to me. It was like Fred Pryor and the trainer had my back!"”
— Tasha C.
In just one day of training you’ll:
- Learn what employers really want and which skills are critical for advancement
- Discover tips for communicating efficiently, effectively and respectfully
- Produce accurate, complete and useful written communication
- Give and receive constructive criticism with grace and respect
- Be the team player your team looks up to
- Avoid misunderstanding and conflict due to communication mistakes
- Know which communication strategies work best
- Communicate effectively with managers and peers who are not technically-minded
- And much more!
Being good at your job is more than just getting the work done. In today’s business environment, you also have to be able to work well with others, successfully communicate to higher ups, solve problems strategically, among a variety of other soft skills. This seminar will help you become the well-rounded employee needed to ensure you thrive and advance in today’s competitive workplace.
Effective and Respectful Communication
Communication is the foundation of any community. Without the ability to share, explain and listen, relationships break down and chaos ensues. This is even more important in a work environment where efficiency is money and results are on the line. In this module, you will learn tips for good communication so your peers listen and your managers will notice.
- Written communication – What to include in every message you type, whether it’s a quick email, a text or a ten page proposal
- How to read the room – Techniques that will help you reduce misunderstandings and avoid conflicts
- "I didn’t read the email" - Learn which platforms (email, texting, meetings, etc.) are most effective for what you need to say and who needs to hear it
- Close the understanding gap – How to communicate technical information to non-technical people
- The art of persuasion — Speak confidently in front of any group, from 5 to 500
Conflict is a fact of life. But, without the tools to manage or diffuse it, conflict can cause severe workplace problems. In the second module, you will learn basic techniques for conflict management.
- Get from "No!" to "Go!" – How to build consensus in a room of different opinions
- What are the five most common reactions to conflict and what’s your style?
- Key strategies for spotting, diffusing and mitigating conflict in the workplace
Debugging is a part of most technical job descriptions. Yet, many specialists fail to apply this skill to social settings. In this module, you will learn why it is important to take a step back from the details of an issue and apply critical thinking and strategic planning techniques to solve problems, both technical AND interpersonal.
- What do employers mean by “problem solving skills” and how is this different from technical problem solving?
- Perfect your problem-solving technique with a simple, step-by-step process
- Train your brain – Practice strategies for improving critical thinking skills
- Look beyond tomorrow – Tips for building and demonstrating a strategic mindset
The myth of the “lone genius” persists - especially in technical, STEM careers – despite overwhelming evidence that the best work happens in collaboration and history’s coolest inventions were developed by teams. The truth is, most projects worth achieving are too big for one person to tackle on their own and no one truly ever works in isolation. This module will illustrate what makes you a good team player and introduce the skills that will enhance your outcomes and job satisfaction.
- Understand typical team roles and identify how your strengths fit into them
- Learn the essential characteristics of a team player
- Giving and receiving constructive feedback
Professionals at the top of their technical ladders often face the choice of “capping out” at their current level or having to move into management positions if they want to advance. This can be a daunting transition for the specialist who has never practiced leadership skills in their previous positions. The good news is, opportunities to demonstrate leadership are always available – even at entry level – and employees who demonstrate excellent leadership skills are highly valued at all levels.
- How to encourage a collaborative work environment through skill, process and practice
- The ABC’s of good decision making
- Delegate tasks effectively and respectfully
Organization and Time Management
At the end of the day, our own habits and attitudes impact our work experience far more than one more certification ever will. In our final module of the day, we will talk about the personal skills that can make the biggest difference in work accomplishment and job satisfaction.
- Increase productivity and reduce mistakes by staying organized in these four key areas: Time, Environment, Tasks and Health
- Plan your day – How spending time saves time
- Learn how your work environment impacts your work productivity and organize for success
- Get less done! (How to prioritize tasks and eliminate time-killing distractions)
- Build healthy habits to beat procrastination and other joy-killing productivity-busters
- Stressed out? Apply these simple techniques for reducing stress and improving your mental balance.