Highlights of the 2016 Edition
The 2016 Edition provides new and expanded coverage of issues such as:
- Health insurance enrollment under PPACA. Including planning for delays in enforcement of the employer mandate, as in the "shared responsibility payment" or "pay or play" requirement, as well as the revised schedule for implementation, reflecting the postponements, record-keeping requirements and more.
- An IRS final rule was published in February 2014, dealing with the responsibilities of mid-sized employers (50-100 full-time employees in 2014) under the shared responsibility requirement.
- The Supreme Court reversed the Sixth Circuit and held that the severance payments constituted FICA wages. The court held that "service" is defined broadly as the entire relationship between employer and employee, so severance payments are made to employees because of service to employers.
- The SEC voted 3-2 in September 2013 to propose a new rule under Dodd-Frank, requiring public companies to disclose the ratio of CEO compensation to the median compensation of all the company's employees.
- Effective January 1, 2015, the Department of Labor adopted a final rule that extended minimum wage and overtime protection to close to two million home health care and personal care workers.
- On March 13, 2014, President Obama signed a memorandum critiquing the current FLSA regulations, which provide that administrative workers are exempt from overtime if they earn over $455 a week.
- President Obama announced that he would apply his executive powers unilaterally to require federal contractors to pay a minimum wage of $10.10 on all new federal contracts.
- And much, much more!
Complete Guide to Human Resources and the Law