Have you been asked to create an Excel worksheet from scratch and had no clue on how to approach the process? Did you build a worksheet only to discover that you should have added elements in the beginning to save time and frustration?
Below is a seven step guide that creates a new worksheet for anyone to use!
Complete these steps, in order, to prevent wasted time and effort.
- Design – Determine the purpose of your spreadsheet and how you want data to appear. Ask yourself what you want a user to get out of the worksheet before you begin. Pick your table headers and organization BEFORE you get started.
- Build – After you have a set plan and clear purpose, begin building. Build the structure and foundation that houses your data and gives your spreadsheet focus.
- Calculate – Now with a firm structure in place, apply formulas and functions where needed. Remember: refer to your plan! Prevent the need to make changes later.
- Format – As necessary in your plan and calculations, format your cell data to appear correctly. To display percentages, make sure that your cells are formatted for percentage and not general or text.
- Report – You risk incomplete or incorrect data if you attempt a report prior to building your worksheet foundation or prior to formatting.
- Print – A printout of your worksheet might be necessary to share your data or a means to physically check your work.
- Automate – Now that everything appears accurately, save yourself and others time by creating your own shortcuts.