Choose an Event
Ashburn, VA 20149
Bring this training to your location.
Have a group of 25 or more people?
Try private, onsite team training.
Bring this topic, or any of our 200+ topics,
to your location with customized training.
100% Satisfaction Guaranteed.
Already attended this seminar?
"I have been a member of Fred Pryor for almost three years now and I have yet to attend a class that didn't have valuable information that would benefit my company and/or our employees."”
— Teri M.
"Excellent!! As always, Fred Pryor's courses are easy to follow, very informative and presented in a format that keeps your attention!!"”
— Cynthia S.
"I enjoy all of the seminars that I attend through the Fred Pryor Training Rewards program. They are very informative and the instructors are very knowledgeable and helpful."”
— Tasha M.
"Excellent info for all levels of users. There are always things to add to your "bag of tricks"."”
— Wendy S.
"Wow! I have taken many wonderful courses through Fred Pryor; this one takes the cake!!"”
— Dana N.
"Top notch! Thank you Fred Pryor, this is the best investment my boss could have made."”
— Lewis C.
"I received a lot of great information in this training. Several co-workers went with me which was a great help for me to start implementing some of the changes we need to do at the office. It was very eye opening for them to realize the things that we need to do at the office. It was very eye opening for them to realize the things that need to get to me. It was like Fred Pryor and the trainer had my back!"”
— Tasha C.
Straightforward solutions to your employee discipline problems
These days you just can't afford employees who drag down morale, destroy productivity and distract you from important projects. Here's a proven system for dealing with difficult employees, once and for all.
At this seminar, you'll learn how to …
- Approach an employee about the problem behavior … in a way that minimizes accusations, hostility and defensiveness
- Create an improvement plan … and get your employee to commit to it
- Coach the employee … so there's no chance of misunderstanding
- Document the process … to encourage steady progress
- Discipline, reassign or dismiss the person if the problem doesn't improve … and handle it all fairly
With the skills you will gain at this seminar, you'll get your difficult employees to pull their own weight. You'll eliminate "weak links" — and reveal a fully functioning team.
Understanding the problem:
- What a problem employee looks like: nine symptoms to watch for
- Emotional and psychological roots of poor performance
- Should you wait until there is a clear pattern of problem behavior? Surprisingly, no — you’ll learn why
- A checklist to help you determine if you’re unconsciously triggering the poor performance
- Communication breakdowns leading to performance problems
- How to pinpoint the causes of problem employees
Taking positive action
- Six factors to consider when choosing corrective measures
- Seven signs your problem employee needs more training
- Ways to prepare yourself for confronting a problem employee
- How to explain the problem to your employee without placing blame or causing defensiveness
- Techniques for setting realistic, clear performance standards (so you reward the behaviors you want and discourage those you don’t)
- Progressive discipline: what to do when initial corrective actions don’t work
- How to develop a performance improvement plan
Handling employees who:
- Have a bad attitude
- Are chronically tardy
- Miss work often
- Refuse to take responsibility
- Challenge your authority
- Get derailed by personal problems
Preparing for dismissals
- Guidelines for documenting the disciplinary process:
- When to start
- What to include
- How to be consistent with company policy and employee agreements
- When and how to use a witness
- The right questions to ask
- When all else fails: how to talk with employees who are not improving and help them feel better about moving on
- How to avoid grievances, and the best ways to handle them if they do arise
*Price may vary by location and date.