Attend this course and avoid costly court cases by discovering how to:
- Hire, manage, discipline and terminate employees without violating the rights of protected classes
- Write documentation that will hold up in court
- Create a workplace environment where all employees feel valued and included
- Provide reasonable accommodations for employees under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
- Conduct an investigation of sexual harassment charges legally and respectfully
- Protect the rights of whistleblowers and shield them from retaliation
- Navigate the complexities of FMLA
- Identify resources to stay up to date on evolving laws
- Have a plan for addressing legal and illegal drug use
- And much more
What it Means to be an Equal Opportunity Employer
- Review the list of protected classes under Title VII as it keeps growing – do you know the latest additions?
- Discover where federal and state laws differ on sexual orientation, gender identity and lifestyle laws
- Learn the new definitions of disability and implementing reasonable accommodations without causing undue hardship
- Find out if English-only rules are legal in the workplace
Creating an Inclusive and Respectful Workplace
- Recognize the difference between workplace bullying and a hostile workplace
- Learn smart practices that minimize the risk of sexual harassment in the workplace
- Handle complaints and conduct investigations about harassment or discrimination quickly, fairly and legally
- Discover whistleblower protections and retaliation restrictions
- Avoid common pitfalls of diversity and inclusion training
Talent Acquisition and the Law
- See a checklist of questions you can and cannot ask in an interview
- Learn what interviewers say to create an “implied contract” and how to avoid those promises
- Discover the latest information on pre-employment testing: what’s permissible, what’s not and how testing legally impacts your organization
- Find out how to use social media to screen applicants and follow a social media policy that protects the reputation of your organization and the privacy of your employees
Performance Reviews, Discipline and Discharge
- Identify if your current disciplinary practices safeguard you from charges of wrongful termination
- Learn how to use an effective progressive discipline plan
- Discover how, when and why to keep a file of all performance issues
- Avoid legal hardships by learning why not to use inflated performance reviews
- Find out how the courts currently view the “at-will” employment and discharge concept.
- Recognize key guidelines in determining how to legally classify contingent workers and how it can impact your business
- Find out what’s new in our 24/7 world when addressing minimum wage, overtime, compensable hours
- Distinguish between and learn how record keeping can impact exempt and non-exempt employees
- Discover how to handle breaks, recordkeeping, equipment, worker’s comp and other remote worker issues
Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA)
- Learn major provisions of FMLA, including employers’ rights and responsibilities
- Understand the reasons leave varies from state to state for eligible employees
- Discover FMLA’s 12-month options and intermittent FMLA leave
- Communicate FMLA leave arrangements with employees, line managers and HR
- Recognize the importance of FMLA documentation
Employee Privacy Rights
- Find out how the courts view information, files, email, correspondence and other potentially valuable “intellectual property”
- Discover what to include in a social media policy for employees
- Recognize how you should be safeguarding your employees’ (and customers’) private information
- Determine how the Drug-Free Workplace Act affects your company
- Learn the various laws and rules when it comes to medical marijuana use
- Discover what OSHA requires of every employer and how to ensure your workplace complies
- Explore realistic guidelines to minimize incidents of workplace violence and identify potential problems before they erupt
Keeping Current on Personnel Policies and Procedures
- Assess your present system: perform a quick legal audit of the policies and procedures in use at your workplace
- Learn the latest legislation and legal issues
- Discover pending legal issues that could greatly impact your present practices
- Find out how recent court decisions affect you and how to stay on top of constantly changing employment laws
Bring this training to your location.
Have a group of 25 or more people?
Try private, onsite team training.
Bring this topic, or any of our 200+ topics,
to your location with customized training.
100% Satisfaction Guaranteed.
"I have been a member of Fred Pryor for almost three years now and I have yet to attend a class that didn't have valuable information that would benefit my company and/or our employees."
— Teri M.
"Excellent!! As always, Fred Pryor's courses are easy to follow, very informative and presented in a format that keeps your attention!!"
— Cynthia S.
"I enjoy all of the seminars that I attend through the Fred Pryor Training Rewards program. They are very informative and the instructors are very knowledgeable and helpful."
— Tasha M.
"Excellent info for all levels of users. There are always things to add to your "bag of tricks"."
— Wendy S.
"Wow! I have taken many wonderful courses through Fred Pryor; this one takes the cake!!"
— Dana N.
"Top notch! Thank you Fred Pryor, this is the best investment my boss could have made."
— Lewis C.
"I received a lot of great information in this training. Several co-workers went with me which was a great help for me to start implementing some of the changes we need to do at the office. It was very eye opening for them to realize the things that we need to do at the office. It was very eye opening for them to realize the things that need to get to me. It was like Fred Pryor and the trainer had my back!"
— Tasha C.